January 29, 2012

Pin It Pizza Muffins


Week 1
So my boyfriend Tom has been suggesting for months that we make “pizza muffins.”  I was never really sure what he wanted; a muffin with pizza ingredients or a mini pizza made in a muffin tin.  Well, once I got my jumbo muffin tin I was ready to find out!

After much deliberation, we decided to go with the muffin with pizza ingredients mixed in.  I found a cornmeal muffin recipe, and again, wanted to make sure they were going to be moist (dry muffins are yuck). I found this recipe on Simple Daily Recipes, so now we had a starting point.  I only partially followed those instructions so I will provide my modified Pizza Muffin recipe below.

Pizza Muffins *

Ingredients

For muffins:
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter, melted & cooled
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 eggs, beaten

For pizza muffins:
Shredded mozzarella
Mini pepperoni
Regular sized Turkey pepperoni (or any other pizza meat of your choosing)
Pizza sauce/marinara

Directions
Heat oven 450ºF degrees. Oil muffin tin.
Mix together all the dry muffin ingredients.  In a separate bowl, mixed all the wet muffin ingredients together, then mixed the wet into the dry. 

Making them into Pizza Muffins
Mix a couple handfuls of shredded mozzarella and mini pepperoni into the dough (you can really include as much as you want, the more the better in my opinion). Scoop dough into jumbo muffin pans to about 3/4 full (I used my large ice cream scoop for this).  Using a pastry bag, inject pizza/marinara sauce into center of each muffin (gently, to avoid spillover). This part is a little tricky, and if you do get spillover, you can just pat a little extra dough on top of the spill. Top each muffin with turkey pepperoni and more cheese.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.

You can also heat up some additional marinara for dipping.

* Pizza Muffins are a Tom (vision) and Rebecca (executer) creation.

These ended up being really good.  My first batch didn’t really have enough marina injected into the middle, as it was hard to tell how much was going in, but they were still delicious.  My favorite part was how the outside of the muffins got all crispy from the cheese that was mixed into the dough.



Happy pizza muffins

See the crispy outside?!

Inside goodness



No comments:

Post a Comment