January 30, 2012

Pin It Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Taken From The Curvy Carrot (Isn't that a cute blog name? Bonus points awarded.)

Week 5
My soon-to-be sister-in-law Jen sent me this awesome link to a site called FoodGawker. I may be behind the times in hearing about this but it is super cool!  FoodGawker is a site that allows you to visually search and discover new recipes, and all the photos and recipes are submitted by food bloggers from around the world. It is very cool way to browse recipes and a good time suck if you have any to kill.

Similarly, I recently downloaded an app on my phone called PunchFork that my friend Kristen told me about.  It’s also visually based, and is a good way to search a more consolidated list of recipes from a few select food blogs.  Smitten Kitchen and My Baking Addiction are both contributors so needless to say, I’m a fan. However, you should be careful when using this site/app in public, as it has been known to induce unexpected drooling.

The first thing that caught my attention about this recipe besides the word “cookie” obviously, was the red velvet. I don’t know what it is but I love red velvet.  To be honest, I’m not even sure if I can explain why. Most often I’m eating red velvet in cupcake form and one of my favorite parts then is the cream cheese frosting.  I think I’m just intrigued by the flavor.  It’s not super chocolaty but there is still that coco flavor, and they are SO red, which seems so unnatural and enticing at the same time.  I really don’t know what it is, but I will try anything red velvet and these cookies were no exception.

I saw these cookies and decided they were next on my list to try.  Actually I couldn’t even wait 24 hours after finding this recipe (and it would have been even sooner but I was out of flour).

The only thing I did differently was I used the liquid kind of red food coloring and I added it right before the white chocolate chips.  Not sure if I would recommend this change in when the dye was added because I soon discovered that it’s a lot harder for the dye to mix in evenly once it is in its firmer, doughy form.  This is no doubt why she says to add it earlier (duh), but I thought I was saving a step since she had to add more in the end to get it the color right. Anyway, I baked them for 10 minutes and they turned out perfectly, crispy on the edges and chewy on the inside, just how I like them. Final verdict: awesome cookies.

Slightly flattened before going in the oven

Fresh out of the oven

Stacked cookies are cute, plus all the blogs are doing it :p

So many cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment