February 25, 2012

Pin It Butternut Squash Skillet Hash

Taken From Natural Noshing

Week 8

And I’m back!
So I took a brief hiatus as I was up in Canada this past week for my brother’s wedding and a mini ski vacation. The trip consisted of lots of family, small children, eating, fancy events, slow moving followed by rushing to get ready for said fancy events, and wintery activities…it was awesome!  It's always fun to have the whole family together (my parents, 7 siblings, 5 brother/sister in-laws and 7 nieces/nephews) as it only happenes about once a year.
My family
The wedding events started off with a girl’s night out with most of my sisters and some other cousins/lady friends of the bride.  Lots of food, drink and 20’s theme garb.
Most of my sisters
Amidst all of the scheduled events and meals, we managed to squeeze in more eating!  We went to this spot for brunch in Vancouver called the Twisted Fork Bistro the morning of the rehearsal dinner, and it was awesome! We sent some of my other siblings there the next day and they loved it too (especially their homemade pear, parsnip and cinnamon jam, which made its way to Whistler with us). This place had their own version of the Caesar (which is Canadian’s twist on a bloody mary, a Cesar uses Clamato juice instead of tomato juice).  Anyway, this place has its own twist on the Caesar called the Brutus, which used horseradish, dijon mustard and topped it with a picked brussel sprout and green bean.  It was yummy.

My brother (the groom) had banana stuffed brioche French toast, sprinkled with cinnamon, powdered sugar and a side of vanilla whipped cream.  I had the gruyere baked eggs with sourdough toast, rosti, tomato and baked beans. Delish!
Banana stuffed French toast
The rehearsal dinner and wedding were beautiful.  Everyone had a great time and it was a fantastic celebration. Always fun to add another member to our crew.
Daniel, Leah, Tom and Me at the rehearsal dinner
All my sisters

After the wedding festivities ended, the second part of our trip continued as we headed up to Whistler for a few days.  Most of my family participated in the non-stop family extravaganza: part 2, which was also very fun. A little less chaotic as no one had to be anywhere in a rush, so it was a bit more relaxing. 
All my nieces and nephews, and I got me meet my second cousin Avery (in the middle) for the first time.

I’ve only been skiing twice in my 28 years, but I tried it again our first full day in Whistler.  I had a good time, and everyone was telling me I was doing really well.  My bruised legs begged to differ.
My sister and her family of seasoned skiers had me on intermediate runs on Blackcomb, a little beyond my level, but it was fun to ski with everyone (or more accurately, have them ski down and periodically wait for me as I slooowwwllyyyy made my way down the mountain).  I did have fun and am glad I skied one of the days I was up there. Whistler is amazing and there was even some fresh snow, something Californians would be very jealous of right now.


The next day I decided to take it easy, go ice skating with some of my nieces and nephews and even got to do some tubing!
Olympic rings in Whistler village
Ice skating in Whistler Village
Tubing on Blackcomb
We even had time to try some local cuisine, including poutine.  This dish is very big in Canada, and in Whistler village, we saw why!  Basically it’s fries, gravy and cheese curds, the perfect snack after a long day of burning calories on the slopes…or in our case, tooling around Whistler and watching others ice skate J.
Daniel and his poutine in Whistler
My trip was awesome and coming back to reality was kind of blah, but 70 degree weather in SF made the transition a little nicer.

As I had no food in my house (ate it all in preparation for my trip) it was back to the dinner drawing board.  I found this recipe on Natural Noshing, the same site I found the lemon lentil soup recipe. 

Again, Trader Joe’s makes my life so easy.  I would have bought a whole butternut squash but it looks like that season had passed at TJ’s.  Luckily, they also sell the pre-cut butternut squash in a bag, all ready to roast (or steam in the bag if you prefer).  I was also feeling extremely lazy, as my trip left something to be desired on the sleep front, so I picked up some pre-sliced crimini mushrooms too. 

This recipe gives you lots of choices as far as ingredients and suggested substitutions, so I'll tell you what I used, mostly because I already had some of the ingredients:

5 cups pre-cut, cubed butternut squash (2 TJ’s packages)
1 ½ Tbs. coconut oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ yellow onion, chopped
~10 oz. sliced crimini mushrooms (1 TJ’s package)
½ cup golden raisins
2 handfuls of baby spinach
~4 Tbs. of feta
3 Tbs. sliced toasted almonds
salt and pepper to taste
*I left out the dash of crushed red pepper

With my lazy person short cuts (pre-cut veggies and such) this recipe was super quick and easy.  It made much more than the 2 servings the recipe indicated (I’d say about 4-5) but that just means more lunches/dinner for the week.  I would definitely recommend this as a yummy vegetarian meal or a side dish to any meat lovers meal.
Roasting goodness
My pan's eyes were bigger than its stomach and I had to transfer all to a bigger pot

What a healthy meal!
Reheated the following day with a fried egg on top, Tom style



No comments:

Post a Comment