February 9, 2012

Pin It Shortbread Heart Cookies and Buttercream Frosting

Week 7

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I wanted to make a special heart themed treat for my peeps.  Since I’m headed up to the Great White North (Vancouver and Whistler, B.C.) on the 15th for my brother’s wedding, I decided to get this baking task done a little early (but am still going to count it as week 7  J).
Don't you just want to turn them into edible wallpaper?! 
A few weeks ago after discovering FoodGawker, I came across a sugar cookie and buttercream frosting recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod. The cookies looked really good, but the recipe made 5-6 dozen (which is entirely too many cookies, especially to decorate) and it called for 3 eggs, so kind of a hard recipe to cut in half, and not worth cutting into a third.  I’m also not a huge fan of sugar cookies.

Anyway, I liked the idea of yummy heart shaped cookies so I decided to go the shortbread route.  My oldest sister’s mother-in-law makes amazing shortbread cookies and seems to have a different cookie cutter for every occasion. I’ve been eating these for years now because growing up, my future brother-in-law’s little sister Jenny, was my best friend J Confusing I know, but I come from a big family and when my oldest sister Connie starting dating her future husband Tom, she was 15 and I was just a baby.  The families got to know each other, Jenny and I became friends and our siblings eventually got married when we were 10, which was pretty cool to be kind-of-related to your best friend!

Anyway, I asked my sister Connie for her mother-in-law’s recipe so I could try my hand at her famous shortbread. I don’t feel it is my place to share this recipe for the world to see, although I don’t think it’s a secret ;) However, I will tell you that I had no idea how few ingredients there are in shortbread. It's just butter, sugar, flour and BAM, you have cookies!

For the frosting, I used the Two Peas & Their Pod buttercream recipe.  Needless to say these cookies turned out to be quite the buttery treat. 

I wasn’t quite sure how I wanted to decorate my little hearts.  I knew pink would obviously be involved, but wasn't sure if I wanted to go the sprinkle route or the piped frosting route. As I ended up making a frosting rather than a spreadable icing, piping the buttercream onto the cookies with my pastry bags and tips seemed like the way to go.

I love them <3.  I can't get enough of how cute they look! Who cares how they taste (buttery and delicious, by the way), don't you just want to carry them around with you in your pocket?! I told my roommate that I was in love with my cookies, this may be an overstatement, but I was very happy with how they turned out! 

Even the cookie cutter is pink, very appropriate 
Golden perfection 
Not sure what it is about piped pink frosting hearts, but don't they just make you happy?
Zig Zaggy pink buttercream squiggles
Aww, they're friends, see how they like to cuddle with each other?

2 comments:

  1. They are amazingly PERFECT; I can almost taste them!
    CZI

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out great! Way to go, I showed them to Kathy

    ReplyDelete