March 26, 2012

Pin It Chicken Pot Pie with Cream Cheese and Chive Biscuits

Taken From Joy the Baker

Week 13
I stumbled upon this recipe on Joy's site and thought it looked amazing.  It was an interesting, modern twist on chicken pot pie and slightly resembled the caramelized mushroom and dumplings recipe I had made in the past, and loved. This was not something I could just whip up for two, so when my friends and I decided on the next Sunday night dinner date, I offered up to make this for the main dish. We actually had such a big group planned, that I ended up doubling the recipe to make two 9 x 13 casseroles of this recipe.

I definitely don't suggest attempting this recipe unless you have a couple hours on your hands.  I prepped all my veggies that morning and shredded two Costco rotisserie chickens worth of meat (which ended up being about 8 cups) and that all took me about an hour. The rest of the prep took me another hour and a half (not including baking time), although I was doubling this, so you can take that into account.

The only adjustment I made to this recipe was that I used low-fat milk instead of whole milk for the creamy sauce.  My sauce didn't thicken up as much as she described (warm, thick pudding) so I ended up adding in a bit more flour (~1/3 cup) until the consistency seemed right. She also said to use a 1 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, which seemed really small.  I used a 2 1/8 inch cutter, which worked out well.

The great thing about this dish is it can feed a lot of people, plus it can be prepped ahead of time.  That way you can just throw it in the oven and bake about 30 minutes before you are ready to eat.  She suggested cooking for 20-23 minutes.  I cooked mine for closer to 30-35 minutes, but I also had two casseroles in the oven, so that probably lengthened the baking time. Basically, you just want the biscuits to be cooked through with golden tops and have the saucy mix bubbling on the sides.
Before
After: This pan's biscuits got a little wonky while baking...
but they were still delicious.
Great recipe, a little involved but worth in if you've got a group to feed.  I'm not sure if I would be able to manage eating this for more than a couple meals in a week (out of guilt and the sloth-like demeanor that ensues after consumption) so make sure you invite some friends over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment