March 15, 2012

Pin It Coconut Maple Granola

Taken From Shutterbean

Week 11

So I attempted to make this recipe back in December as part of my holiday treats for friends and family.  My first attempt was a bit of a fail as I had no idea how quickly oats could turn from golden to burned. I ended up throwing half of it out and sifting through the other half to try and toss out as many burnt bits as I could.  Needless to say, the end result was not stellar.

This time, I went at it with much more knowledge and caution. I lined my baking sheet with parchment paper to try and avoid burning and stirred it every 5 minutes. If I did this again, I would not use my nonstick coated baking sheets (even though they are the only ones I have with a lip).  I really dislike these pans for most baking.  They just draw too much heat in with their dark coating, and even with the parchment paper and constant stirring, I still got a few blackened oats. However, this end result was much more successful.  I only cooked my granola for 20 minutes, instead of the 25-30 the recipe suggests, and that was plenty.  

It turned out great and is such an easy snack to make. The only thing I was missing was the coconut flakes, as that would have required a special trip out to Rainbow Grocery where they sell it in bulk.  Bulk is such a better way to do this item as you can get exactly how much you need, and aren't stuck with a whole bag of coconut flakes in your cabinet for months.  Instead of the flakes, I just substituted in more shredded coconut. 

Also, this recipe does not have to be limited to coconut and almonds.  If you are feeling adventurous, you can also add dried fruit (cherries, raisins, cranberries) to your granola after it has cooled.  AND you could add mini chocolate chips, get crazy!

Raw granola, almonds and coconut, tossed in maple syrup and coconut oil
Finished toasted (and not scorched) product

1 comment: