March 10, 2012

Pin It Creamy Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup

Taken from Spoon Fork Bacon

Week 10

So I had a can of crushed tomatoes, a ton of fresh basil leftover from the creamy Tuscan pasta, and some mouths to feed.  I had printed out this recipe months ago when some friends and I went and picked fruits and veggies on Smith Family Farm up in Brentwood, but I hadn't tried it out yet.

This is by far my favorite tomato soup recipe that I have tried. It was fairly simple, not too involved time-wise and turned out great!  Plus, I got to use my immersion blender which is always a cause for celebration. 

I'm always hesitant to add cream to my soups, thinking that it would probably be just as good and a lot healthier without, but then I figure why not?!  Cream does make things richer and more delicious and healthy soup is for the birds.  In actuality, it was only 2/3 cup of cream, for a whole pot of soup, so you can only imagine how little is in each bowl (that's my justification anyway).

So the recipe suggested topping this soup with goat cheese and fried basil.  I forgot to set aside some of my basil for frying so I unfortunately did not get to try that, but it did look really good and I will try and remember next time.  We chose to garnish our soup with some grated parmesan instead, as we were saving our goat cheese appetites for the biscuits (coming soon…yum).

Roasted romas
I mean to take photo before I started blending, but forgot so this is mid-blend
Finished blending and added cream
See all the green flecks, that means it's healthy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment