March 16, 2012

Pin It Springtime Jasmine Rice Salad

Taken From How Sweet It Is

Week 11

Although it definitely does not look like it outside (soggy, gloomy and grey), the first day of spring (March 20th) is quickly approaching! In order to get all amped up for springtime, I made this appropriately named salad.

I was looking for something to make for my lunch as I had nearly nothing in my fridge (half a piece of pita bread and 3 meatballs).  I was not creative enough to figure out how to make that into a meal, so I headed to the store to pick up a few things for this dish.

I made a few adjustments to this recipe, two on purpose and one by accident. I had a huge bag of brown/red rice so I used that instead of brown jasmine rice.  I also added ~1/3 cup of feta at the very end for a little extra flavor.

I don't know about you, but I always have a hard time remembering how to cook brown rice.  You have to know what proportion of rice to water to use (1 to 1.5), how long to simmer it after bringing it to a boil (20 min) and how long to let it sit with the lid on and heat off (10-20 min) before it's ready.  In the end, I always have to look it up.  I found these random instructions last night and they worked out really well.  My only issue was that I accidentally only substituted a 1/2 cup of chicken broth instead of the whole cup as the recipe states.  This probably just made it turn out to have a bit less flavor, but what are you gonna do. That's what I get for cooking while on the phone and simultaneously listening to 30 Rock.

This dish turned out quite well and was definitely an easy thing to whip up. Plus, there are so many different colors, that must mean it's healthy :)

Greased up asparagus spears ready for roasting
Close up of roasted veggies
Happy springtime salad family

No comments:

Post a Comment