March 21, 2012

Pin It Sushi Roll Edamame Salad

Taken From Shutterbean

Week 12

I did a lot of eating out this past weekend as my sister Leah was in town, so I wanted to find something for dinner that could give me a little detox from my carbo loading. Don't get me wrong, I love my carbs, and eating homemade granola and gert at the La Boulange for brunch, Smitten's TCHO dark chocolate ice cream with homemade pistachio brittle as brunch dessert, fresh fortune cookies from the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory as a pre-snack dessert, an onion bun from China town as a snack, and Tony's Pizza Napoletana for dinner in one day was awesome, but after noodles the next day at Citrus Club, I felt like I was in desperate need of vegetables and green things (pretty sure my jade noodles at Citrus Club didn't count as they were covered in spicy coconut sauce....yum).


So, I was looking for something on the lighter side and found this on Shutterbean. I was only briefly discouraged by the sheer number of ingredients I was going to have to get, but in the end I decided it looked delicious and was probably worth it.
This was actually fairly simple, as there is nothing that had to be cooked besides the rice.  I used TJ's frozen brown rice that you just microwave in the bag, so there was very little effort there. This recipe does involve a fair amount of chopping, so be prepared for that, or enlist a sous chef (I wish!).


The only edit I made was for the green onion-miso vinaigrette.  They don't carry miso paste at Trader Joe's or Safeway, and I couldn't bring myself to go to a third grocery store (Whole Foods), so I substituted in tahini, which I found at TJ's. I guess I can't really call mine a "miso vinaigrette" since there was definitely no miso in there, and tahini is made from sesame seeds and not soy beans, but whatever. I felt like the flavor was still in the same family and it turned out well.  Probably a little thinner than if there had been miso blended in, but I thought it worked out.  I also don't have a blender so I used my immersion blender, which was perfect for this amount of dressing.
Pre-edemame.  I wanted to capture the organization before those green buggers threw it all off.
I guess they aren't so bad, pretty cute little guys.
With the dressing. 
So we start to dig in and about a minute in, I realized I forgot to put the rice in the bowl! Whoops. It was supposed to go on top of the bed of lettuce, but underneath all the chopped goodness.  I scooped some of the salad out of the bowl to try and add the rice in near the bottom.  Successful, but not picture worthy.

I also topped this off with a little furikake, for extra flavor.  I love this stuff; it's salty seaweed with sesame seeds and it awesome on rice (also good on cottage cheese, yeah I know, I'm weird).  It comes in all different flavors, but nori komi is my favorite. You can find the whole lot at any Asian market.

1 comment:

  1. WASABI FURIKAKE ON EVERYTHING!Sometimes I make rice just to eat furikake.

    ReplyDelete