March 10, 2012

Pin It Whole Wheat Honey and Goat Cheese Drop Biscuit

Taken From Joy the Baker Cookbook


Week 10

So I needed a starch to accompany my tomato soup, like you do, but wanted to veer from the standard grilled cheese. As I hadn't made anything out of my new Joy the Baker cookbook yet, and it had already been a whole week, I decided to see what I could find in there. Winner! I found this recipe and was super excited to try it.

Here's the thing, I love biscuits, love them, and Joy really knows how to do it right. I've made this recipe in the past, and the biscuits were amazing and my favorite part. 

When I saw this biscuit recipe, two things caught my eye: goat cheese and honey, double yum.  I was so excited, I even went out and bought a set of biscuit cutters (something that had previously been missing from my kitchen) and only later realized these were drop biscuits and cutters were unnecessary. No matter, I'm sure they will come in handy very soon when I make my hamentashen (coming soon). 

The other thing that I think made these biscuits exceptionally amazing, was that in addition to the honey in the biscuits, I drizzled their tops with warm spun honey (also called whipped or creamed honey), my new favorite honey!  In fact, at times the biscuit was just a vehicle to eat more honey.  I bought a tub of Bradshaw's spun honey (found it at Safeway) and I love it.  It's soft and creamy, doesn't crystallize or drip and has a great flavor (not super sweet and tastes like it has cinnamon in it, but it doesn't!). Basically to get spun/whipped/creamed honey, two kinds of honey are combined and processed in a series of heating and cooling phases in order to control crystallization (no whipping, spinning or cream adding actually occurs). Whipped honey contains a large number of small crystals, which prevent the formation of larger crystals that can occur in unprocessed honey. (More info on creamed honey, in case you are interested).

This recipe was straightforward, delicious and the prefect pair to my tomato soup.  I also served them the next day with fried eggs.  Really, you can eat them with anything, at any time of day (or at least I can J).
Right?!

The recipe below is taken directly from Joy's new cookbook.

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/2 half stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes, plus more for the pan
4 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
1 cup buttermilk, cold
2 tablespoons honey, plus more for topping

Instructions
Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven as it preheats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With your fingers, quickly incorporate the cold butter and goat cheese until the flour resembled coarse meal. Some of the butter and cheese chunks will be the size of small pebbles, others will be the size of oat flakes. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.

Whisk together buttermilk and honey. Honey may not completely blend into the buttermilk; that’s okay. Pour the buttermilk into the well of the flour mixture. Use a fork to blend together the wet and dry ingredients. Mix until all of the flour is incorporated and no dry flour remains. Set aside.
Remove the hot skillfrom the oven and add 1 tablespoon butter. Swirl the butter around the bottom and sides of the pan until butter is melted and pan is coated.

Spoon batter by the 1/4 cupful into the hot skillet. About 6 biscuits will fit into the 10-inch skillet. Biscuits should have about an inch of room separating them, but will bake up to touch one another. That’s great!

Place in the oven to bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until golden and tops appear dry and slightly firm. Remove from the oven. Let rest for 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. For a glossy finish, brush the biscuits with slightly warm honey. These biscuits are best served imediately, but will last for up to 3 days, well wrapped, and at room temperature.
Flour, butter and goat cheese. I get impatient at this step so chunks are not as small as described in recipe. 
Dough consistency
Raw biscuits in buttered, hot cast iron pan
So good...

No comments:

Post a Comment