May 2, 2012

Pin It Greek Tuna Salad

Inspired by Table for Two's Thai Tuna Salad

Week 18

After eating out almost the entire weekend, I wanted to make something on the healthy side for dinner last night.  I almost never eat fish (mostly because I don't like it) especially canned tuna, but I went for it anyway.  Can't really explain why, but I think it was a combo of feeling under the weather and wanting something quick and easy.

I don't think I can really call what I made Thai tuna salad, as I only kept a few of the original ingredients. Instead, let's call it Greek tuna salad, yes, that sounds better.

I decided against using sesame oil because as I've said in the past, it's just too overwhelming of a flavor and that ends up being the only thing you can taste. Instead, I decided to use tzatziki sauce as my main flavor, because it's light and delicious, and it went well with the red onion and cucumber the recipe called for. Once I decided to go the Greek route, I went all out.  In my Greek tuna salad I used:

Ingredients (serves 4)
3 cans of tuna, drained
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
3.5-4 Tbs of tzatziki sauce
1/4 cup feta
1 Tbs olive tapenade (or 1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives)
1 Tbs capers (because I had them in the fridge)
Salt and lemon pepper to taste
Sesame seeds, as garnish (don't really go with the theme but I had them in the cupboard)

Start by mixing your drained tuna with the tzatziki sauce. Then add all your other chopped ingredients and stir. I served mine on top of a bed of mixed greens.  Tada! Quick and easy, healthy meal.
Tuna and tzatziki.
All sorts of Greek and salty goodness.

Atop a bed of greens and you've got yourself a meal.

I didn't want to put the tuna on top of the greens much before we were going to eat because I didn't want the greens to get soggy.  While I was waiting for Tom to come over, I served up the bowls of greens and put the tuna in the fridge. I was feeling a little loopy and thought it would be super funny to serve Tom a bowl of mixed greens with a single sesame cashew on top and pretend that was dinner. I thought I was hilarious...but that may have been the fever setting in J

No comments:

Post a Comment