May 14, 2012

Pin It Guacamole Hummus

Taken From Shutterbean

Week 19
To continue with the theme of "eating" for Tom’s birthday, I made this recipe.  I’ve been wanting to try this out for a while but have always held off because I don’t have a food processor.  After buying a Costco sized bag of tortilla chips and kettle chips, I decided that these giant bags of saltiness needed a tangy green companion. 

I used my immersion blender to make this hummus.  I started off by using the chopping attachment to grind up the cilantro and garlic first.  My immersion blender came with a couple attachments, one which is essentially a tiny food processor, and occasionally comes in handy.
After that I added all the rest of the ingredients into a large bowl and used my immersion blender to smooth it all out.
Cilantro, garlic and avocados.
Mid-blend, trying to grind up all those pesky garbanzo beans.
As smooth as it was going to get. Immersion blender motor was heating up pretty good so I decided to call it quits.
I’m sure a food processor would work much better (and would be easier on your arm) but if you don’t have one and want to make you own hummus, an immersion blender does do the trick. I tripled this recipe to make sure I had enough.  In hindsight this was waayyy too much, but it’s been keeping quite well and has not turned brown.

For this recipe, you can use the following to serve 8:

Ingredients
3 cups fresh cilantro leaves
1 garlic clove
1 15oz. can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Coarse salt & fresh ground pepper

Directions
Combine garlic clove with cilantro leaves in the food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the chickpeas & avocado and continue processing. While the processor is running, slowly pour a steady stream of the olive oil into the mixture. Add lemon juice and continue until smooth. Season with salt & pepper. 

This was really tasty and super easy to make.  Making your own hummus is so simple!  I’ll definitely have to try it again with other combos.  This sweet potato hummus sounds really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment