May 13, 2012

Pin It Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Brownie Bar

Taken From Kevin & Amanda

Week 19
In preparation for Tom's 30th Birthday on the 12th, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen...a lot! We had originally planned on doing a BBQ beach bonfire on Saturday up in Point Reyes, but because the weather was so bad (foggy, windy and cold, brrr) we ended up turning it into an abbreviated park BBQ.  Even though the party may have been shorter than the original plan, we still had enough food to feed the masses.

I started the birthday celebration preparation on Friday night after a really nice dinner with Tom’s family at Nopa.  Around 10pm I started on these bad boys.  I know they sound super intense, and they are, but very good.  And they actually aren’t as unbearably rich as they sound.  I’d say they are on the same level as any fudgy brownie.

I started off by making a solid chocolate chip cookie recipe. My chocolate chip cookie recipe is the following:

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, browned and cooled
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips


Directions
I browned my butter using the following instructions taken from this How Sweet it Is recipe that I made here:

"Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add butter. Whisking constantly, cook butter until bubbly and until small brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan – about 5-6 minutes. Watch closely and immediately remove the butter from the heat, whisking for an additional 30 seconds or so. Set aside and let cool COMPLETELY. Note: It does not need to solidify at all, but it should not be warm to the touch."

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and set aside.
Cream butter and sugars.
Add eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add vanilla.
Gradually add in flour mixture to the wet mixture.
Gently stir in chocolate chips.
Browned butter chocolate chip cookie dough.
After you’ve made your chocolate chip cookie dough, press into a wax paper lined and greased 9x13 pan.
CCC dough pressed into wax paper lined and greased 9x13 pan.
Then you layer on a single layer of double stuff Oreos.  I contemplated using regular Oreos (for health's sake?! I have no idea) but then I decided I may not get as good of a cross section so I stuck with the original plan.
I know, it's looking a little intense, but just wait, it gets better...
Who doesn't want Oreos hidden inside their cookie brownie?! Obviously a crazy person.
After that, make a single brownie mix intended for a 9x13 pan.  I used a Ghirardelli boxed brownie mix but made the mistake of using a mix that was only intended for a 9x9 pan. My brownie mix was really thick and not the best to use for this recipe.  I would recommend using the family size Pillsbury chocolate fudge brownie mix (what the Kevin & Amanda recipe used).
Pouring the thick (probably too thick) brownie mix over the top.
After a little finagling, I managed to spread a brownie layer over the whole 9x13 pan, but I would definitely recommend finding a family sized mix.
I also made a baking faux pas as I ran out of vegetable oil while making the brownie mix.  I was about 1/8 cup short and given that it was almost 11pm and I was not about to make another trip to the store, I substituted in olive oil.  Not sure how bad this is but I wouldn’t recommend it.  I think you can see the difference in the top of my baked brownies as there are a couple different textures going on.  I think the regular looking flaky top is where the vegetable oil was (top and middle of picture below) and the moist/glossy looking bubbly part (bottom left corner and right side) must have been the olive oil part.
The only other change I made from the Kevin & Amanda recipe (besides using my own chocolate chip dough recipe) was that I didn’t add in hot fudge to the brownie mix.  I'm pretty sure this recipe does not need any more sugar or fat…plus I didn’t have any. If you are short on time you could also use the pre-made Tollhouse cookie dough instead of making it from scratch.

The recipe tells you to cover your pan with foil and bake for 30 min at 350, then remove the foil and continue baking for another 15-25 minutes.  I think I overbaked mine a little as I was misled by the different textured brownie tops.  My cookies ended up a little crispy so I’d recommend baking for ~18-20 after removing the foil.
Lining with waxed paper makes it super easy to lift out of the pan.
My mom made these on Sunday and didn’t cover with foil (not on purpose) and ended up baking them in her convection oven at 325 for 55 minutes. 
These were definitely a hit and the recipe made a ton!  The Kevin & Amanda recipe also says you can make it in a 8 x 8 pan by cutting the cookie dough recipe in half and by using a regular brownie mix.  These suckers are thick and I cut them so each square had its own Oreo, so it ends up being quite the hefty dessert.  Unless you are baking these for a large group, I’d probably opt for the smaller quantity.  

1 comment: