June 14, 2012

Pin It Banana Peanut Butter Refrigerator Oatmeal


Taken From The Yummy Life 

Week 24
This sounds a little weird, I know, but it is actually really good. Plus, you can create so many different combinations and flavors, the possibilities are endless!

You just start with the same base below and add whatever you want. 

Here are the ingredients and directions for the banana peanut butter fridge oatmeal.  I made a few changes/substitutions based on preference and what I had in my house.  I also used my pint jars (because they were easier to reach) but it really doesn't matter what size you use. My notes are in italics.

Ingredients
1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
1/3 cup skim milk (I used almond milk)
1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (I used plain non-fat yogurt)
1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds (skipped these)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon honey, optional
1/4 cup diced ripe banana, or enough to fill jar (approx. half of a small banana, I use a whole banana)
2 dashes of cinnamon

Directions
In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, peanut butter, and honey. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add bananas and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Eat chilled.
My ingredients
Oats, yogurt, peanut butter and honey.
Plus milk, pre-shake. 
Post-shake. Doesn't look like the most appetizing breakfast but it's tasty!
I also tried the oatmeal base with bananas, 1 tablespoon of strawberry jam and a teaspoon of honey, yum! 

For more combination ideas, click here.

This makes for a very hearty breakfast.  It kept me satisfied for way longer than a normal bowl of cereal (as you might expect) since it's multiple breakfast foods all rolled into one cute jar. Using peanut butter makes it a little calorie heavy but there are tons of combinations you can do that will be on the lighter side. 

Try it out! I bet you'll like it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment