June 28, 2012

Pin It S'more Cookies



Week 26

Can you believe it’s been almost 3 weeks since I’ve made cookies? I know, me either.

I wanted to make a birthday treat for Jenna and something to bring up to Tahoe this weekend, and figured cookies were the most easily transportable. I’ve been trying to veer away from baking things stuffed inside other things, (because they can be a little intense) but I couldn’t help myself with this one. 

It’s summer and I’ve got s’mores on the brain. I found these cinnamon bun marshmallows at the store the other day and intended to use them for these cookies, but totally forgot.  I’ve got another batch to make so I may use them then. I’ll let you know how it goes, I’m guessing they'll be delicious.
I’ve also been trying to prefect the chocolate chip cookie.  After I made the brown butter oatmeal chunk cookies, I thought I’d made the best cookies ever, which I still stand by.  However, I found that not everyone liked the oatmeal chocolate chip combo as much as I did, so I’m trying to extract the best parts of that recipe and inject them into a classic chocolate chip cookie.  I decided the best parts were the browned butter (nutty, rich and delicious) and the cinnamon (a little extra oomph in the flavor department).

For this recipe, I tried taking those two components and putting them into a classic chocolate chip cookie. I also found dark chocolate chips to use.  I love dark chocolate and the chips are actually a little bigger (aka better) than the semi-sweet ones.

For the s'more part of the recipe I decided to tone it down a little.  A full size s’more inside a cookie seemed a little overkill, not to mention  the cookie would have to be huge!  I decided to make mini s’mores instead.
Mini s'mores I made as my mini dessert last week.
For my mini s’mores in this recipe, I used mini cinnamon graham crackers, mini marshmallows and Ghirardelli chocolate drops, all of which I already had in my pantry (who knows why).  The Ghirardelli drops were a little hard to work with (mostly to photograph) so I’d probably recommend using pieces of a Hershey bar instead.

So here is what you'll need for your cookies:

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup browned butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
12oz bag of dark chocolate chips
Mini graham crackers
Mini marshmallows
Hersey bars

Directions
Brown Butter: Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add butter. Whisking constantly, cook butter until bubbly and until small brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan – about 5-6 minutes. Watch closely and immediately remove the butter from the heat, whisking for an additional 30 seconds or so. Set aside and let cool completely.  It does not need to solidify at all, but it should not be warm to the touch.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl and set aside.
Cream butter and sugars.
Add eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add vanilla.
Gradually add in flour mixture to the wet mixture.
Gently stir in chocolate chips.

I chilled my dough for a bit (~1-2 hours) to make sure my cookies didn’t spread out too much while baking.  I’ve found that the key to having a mounded, thick cookie it to use chilled dough. I wanted to make sure I didn’t end up with a flat cookie with a lump of s’more in the middle. However, you want to be careful not to chill your dough too much or it will make it hard to wrap it around your mini s’more.
To make my s'more cookies, I broke off two small clumps of dough (~2 Tbs each) and formed them into little patties. I made the bottom patty into the little bowl shape and assembled the mini s’more onto the bottom dough patty.  I then put on the top dough ball and formed the whole thing into a round ball.
Bottom dough, graham, mallows, and chocolate.
Topped with another graham and top dough.
Rolled into a neat little ball.
I baked my cookies for 10-12 minutes at 375.  I baked my first batch in my muffin top pan to further ensure that my cookies would not spread out too much and become flat.  I made a few on a regular baking sheet as well and they turned out nicely too.
Baked s'more cookies.
Warm and gooey.

sampled one to make sure it was good and I think they turned out really well. I still have another batch to make and will try out the cinnamon bun marshmallows. I will also make a few as just pure chocolate chip cookies to test out the dough by itself.  I could taste the extra cinnamon in the s'more cookie I sampled and it was delicious! I think I'm getting closer to the perfect chocolate chip cookie!

1 comment:

  1. These cookies were huge and delicious! The cinnamon was such a nice touch to them and the browned butter makes them have such a unique taste. I enjoyed the marshmallows and graham crackers too. Thanks for the birthday goodies friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete