June 20, 2012

Pin It Southwest Chicken Salad Patty Melts

Taken from How Sweet It Is

Week 25

Food! I like food, but sometimes I'm lazy.  When I get lazy, I don't feel like cooking or even preparing something that most would qualify as a meal.  On occasion, I'm so unmotivated that I just eat random things until I figure I've eaten enough that I can call it dinner.  For example, last week I ate a rice cake with peanut butter, a fruit crusher and part of a salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bar and called it dinner.  My mom would be so disappointed. 


This fake meal thing is not so sustainable, plus it doesn't work when I have someone else to feed.  Since I knew Tom would be over for dinner this week, I bought the ingredients for this recipe when I was at TJ's on Sunday. 


Side note: I love living in San Francisco, but I forgot how big grocery stores (especially how wide the isles are) can be out in the burbs.  We stopped at the TJ's in Novato on Sunday and the width of the isles seemed silly big. Then I realized the ones in  SF are probably just ridiculously small.


Since I had everything I needed, I whipped this up for dinner last night.


Below is my version of this recipe. Slight changes from the original because: 
1. I don't love green peppers.
2. I don't like cumin.
3. Beans and corn are good. 
4. There wasn't quite enough sauciness for my liking.

Ingredients
1 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and shredded
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup black beans
2/3 cup sweet corn
1 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
3-4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
Toasted bread slices

Directions
Heat a pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Throw in onions, peppers and 1/4 teaspoon salt, mixing to combine. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until vegetables have softened. Remove from heat and let cool a bit. In a large bowl, combine chicken, onions, peppers, black beans and corn, mixing well.

In a smaller bowl, combine greek yogurt, remaining salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika and cilantro, mixing well. Add yogurt to the chicken mixture, stirring well to coat and combine. You can either eat this as is (I put it on top of a bed of lettuce for lunch today) or you can make a patty melt. I put my bread and cheese in the broiler to melt and toast and added the chicken salad to it after it came out of the oven.  You can also add the chicken salad pre-oven if you want it warmed.


Apparently Tom and I have no idea how to use a broiler, or just got distracted, because we burned our first 4 attempts at toast with melty cheese. Fail.  We finally got it right and it was delicious. 

Creamy yogurt with spices and cilantro.
Chicken salad stuff pre-sauce. 

I ate an open faced version.
#1 of 2 that Tom ate for dinner.

This was a very good simple recipe.  My favorite parts: it had great flavor plus it was super rich and creamy without using any mayo! I will definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment