July 9, 2012

Pin It Brown Sugar Cookies


Taken From Joy the Baker

Week 28
I'm on my way to DC this week to meet my new niece Sadie, so I thought it was only right that I come bearing treats! I saw Joy's brown sugar cookie recipe and it looked so delicious yet so simple.  She described these as being like chewy sugar cookies, but with brown sugar and just like chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips.  Well no cookie is complete without chocolate so I added in chips to my batch (something recommended by Joy that would also guarantee the immediate status of "friends for life").

The dough was a little crumbly so I rolled it in my hands a bit after scooping out the dollops. They turned out nicely and were pretty tasty.

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, browned
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions (slightly modified from Joy's instructions)

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.  Set aside.
Place browned butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.  Beat on medium speed until well incorporated.  Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed for one minute more.

Browned butter, sugar, egg and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients, all at once (I know, this felt weird to me too), to the butter and sugar mixture.  Beat on low speed until the dough begins to come together and the flour disappears.  Stop the mixer and finish incorporating the ingredients with a spatula.  Once all the flour is thoroughly mixed in, incorporate in the chocolate chips, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Dough is a little crumbly but time in the fridge helps.
Place a rack in the center and upper third of the over and preheat oven to 350 F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Dollop tablespoons size balls of dough onto the baking sheet.  

I used my mini ice cream scoop to form my cookies and smoothed them out a bit to make sure they were consistent looking.

Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.  Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  

These have a slight spiced flavor since there is both cinnamon and ginger in the dough, so if you are looking for something a little different, this might be your ticket.

I think I may have overcooked these a bit.  Since my cookies were fairly small, they probably only needed 8 minutes and I think I cooked most of my batches closer to 10.  Since I prefer my cookies on the verge of raw, these were not my favorite but hopefully my family enjoys them!

No comments:

Post a Comment