July 31, 2012

Pin It Grilled Chicken, Peach, Blackberry and Basil Pizza

Taken From How Sweet It Is

Week 31

There is a lot going on here, it's true, but it works. I could have lived without the blackberries, but that may have just been the batch I bought more than the ingredient itself.

Check out How Sweet It Is' post for ingredients and directions, I'll give you the general gist below.

To start out you'll need a basic pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's refrigerated pizza dough). Brush the dough with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 4 cloves of crushed garlic.  Top this with a layer of shredded mozzarella.
Then add on all your summery goodies. We've got: grilled chicken, chopped blackberries, a sliced peach, and chopped basil.
On top of all that add your grilled sweet onion.
Then to top it off (as if there is room) add MORE cheese.  The recipe called for sliced fresh mozzarella but I ended up substituting that with more shredded mozzarella and a little shredded parmesan.
I baked my pizza at 375 for ~30 minutes and this is what I got, yum!
Crispy, melty cheese with all sort of things hidden underneath.
I topped it off with some balsamic glaze (which incidentally never turns out that glazy for me and is esentially just like pouring balsamic straight from the bottle, maybe I'll get it right next time).  This added some nice acidity that went well with the fruit/cheese combo. You'll notice there is no sauce on this pizza, but I promise you won't miss it.  There was so much going on with so many layers of toppings that I'm not sure you could actually fit anything more on there.

I saw the skepticism in Tom's face as I told him what was in here but he did liked it, and I think it's worth a try.  It's definitely a different kind of pizza, but I think it's good to mix it up every once in a while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment