August 1, 2012

Pin It Cast Iron Brownies

Taken From Simply Food Love

Week 31
This was my first baking attempt with the cast iron pan I got Tom for this birthday. I know he really wanted one for cooking meat and manly stuff like that, but I had the sole intention of using it for baking delicious sweets :)  

I was super excited about the prospect of baking with this and found this brownie recipe a while back. I'm not sure why I felt inclined to cook an entire pan of brownies for the two of us on a Wednesday night (and asked Tom to pick up ice cream on his way home to accompany the brownies) but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I started out by whisking together 3 eggs and 1 cup of sugar.

In a separate bowl, I whisked together 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

In my cast iron pan I melted 1/2 a stick (4 Tbps) of butter and 1/4 cup of heavy cream (or milk). Once that was melted, I turned the heat down to medium/low and added in 8 oz (1 cup) of chocolate chips, stirring constantly until all the chocolate was melted.  
I let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes before adding it to the eggs and sugar, whisking until it was well combined.
I folded the flour mixture into the chocolate/eggs/sugar mix and poured it into the cast iron pan.
I spread the thick batter around with a spatula to evenly distribute it in the pan and sprinkled more chocolate chips on top.
I baked these at 350 for 35 minutes, as recommended for gooey brownies.  I actually think this was a little too long.  They weren't overdone, but they were definitely not gooey.  I'd say check them at 25 minutes, then continue baking in 3 minute increments, checking on their status until they reach your desired level of gooey-ness.
Fresh out of the oven.
If I could anthropomorphize this brownie, and give him little arms and dollar bills, he'd be makin' it rain he's so rich.
Paired with ice cream.
Tom picked up rocky road ice cream because he thought "it would go well with brownies."  Man was this a rich dessert!  I was looking for something to cut the sweetness, not add to it, but that was okay, it just made for a very decadent treat. Tom (who is not really a sweets person to begin with) was actually disappointed we didn't have any chocolate sauce to make them into proper sundaes.  We'll have to use the salted caramel sauce in the fridge on the rest of the batch...because this could use a little more sugar ;) 

I really like the cast iron pan for brownies because it gives the edges and bottoms a really nice crispy/chewy finish, while the middle can still stay soft and gooey. The only way a brownie should be, especially to those corner lovers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment