August 5, 2012

Pin It Homemade Nut Butters: Honey, Cinnamon Peanut Butter and Honey Almond Butter

Inspired by Avery Cooks

Week 32
It was like magic! I put a package of peanuts in a borrowed food processor for less than 5 minutes and I had peanut butter! That's all you need.  No oil, no sugar. It's so simple it's crazy.

With these two items you can make your own peanut butter and flavor it however you want. Awesome!
I bought Trader Joe's 50% less salt peanuts for my first batch of peanut butter.
I periodically stopped the mixer to so I could show the different stages the peanut go through, from whole peanuts to smooth, creamy peanut butter, and it all happens so quickly!

Stage 1: Coarsely chopped nuts.
Stages 2-4 (not pictured): Fine powered to a paste to a thicker paste.
Stage 5: Peanut dough ball.
Stage 6: Gritty peanut butter.
Stage 7: Peanut butter becomes increasingly smooth the more you process it.
Smoother.
Smoothest.
I wanted make cinnamon, honey peanut butter so I added:
1.5 tsp. cinnamon 
2 Tbps. honey

Here is a note that no one told me, but that I had to figure out by trial and error. Don't process the peanut butter while you are adding the honey.  Just add it to the bowl of creamy peanut butter with the processor off and stir it in by hand. If you add the honey while the processor is going, a reaction happens that makes the peanut butter thicker and less smooth (see photo below). 
I tried to process it longer to see if it would smooth out, but it didn't and actually started to steam.... weird. Since I didn't know what the issue was, I did the same thing when making my almond butter.  I finally learned my lesson on my third batch of peanut butter that it works best to just add the honey and stir it in by hand after you have reached the desired creaminess for your nut butter. Other than that though, this was really easy and turned out great!
Cinnamon, honey peanut butter. Doesn't it look store bought?!
As I mentioned I also made honey almond butter.
I found a Two Peas and Their Pod almond butter recipe but I just ended using the following:

16 oz. of 50% less salt dry roasted almonds (1 package from Trader Joe's)
2 Tbps. honey, again adding the honey in by hand after the almond butter was smooth.
The almond butter was surprisingly good.  I'm not a huge fan of almond butter in general, but I had been eating it instead of peanut butter for a while because I know the fat from almonds is supposed to be healthier than the fat from peanuts (however that works), but it just doesn't taste as good.  This almond butter was really good and I actually think it tastes better than what you can buy in the store (I swear this is not a biased opinion, it really was better!)
I made one more batch of peanut butter before I called it a day and just used honey and peanuts, as Tom prefers his PB cinnamon-free.   
So smooth and creamy, success!

So to sum it up, here is the "recipe" for your very own homemade nut butter:

Makes 1 pint
16 oz. lightly salted nuts.
...That's it.

Possible add-ins:
1.5 tsp. Cinnamon 
2 Tbsp. Honey
2 tsp. Vanilla 
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Anything else you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment