August 28, 2012

Pin It Oatmeal Peanut Butter Snack Squares

Taken From How Sweet It Is

Week 35
My plan was to make a healthier snack option. I don't know if I succeeded exactly, or if I even really like these, but I did eat 2 in a row shortly after taking them out of the oven. Ya know, to make sure I got a good representation of their essence. These don't have any butter or eggs, so I'm not sure how to categorize them (cookie? granola bar?), but How Sweet It Is calls them "snack squares," so I'll stick with that.

It's a simple dough: brown sugar, peanut butter, whole wheat flour (she says pastry flour but I used all-purpose), salt, baking soda, oatmeal, vanilla, milk and chocolate chips.  She only uses 1/3 cup chocolate chips but I think it could use more, probably 1/2 cup.
I baked this in a slightly smaller baking dish so I cut the squares smaller, knowing they would be thicker than in her recipe. Plus her's were HUGE! How Sweet It Is' creator lives in Pittsburgh; maybe everything is bigger there, like in Texas.
I baked them for 16 minutes as I'm now getting the hang of adjusting bake times for my soopa-hot oven. They turned out soft and chewy and a little gooey.  I'm not sure if that is the right "snack square" consistency, but it makes a good cookie.
My intent was to make a granola bar type snack, but I think these are really more of a cookie, so I've been eating them as dessert.  They seem healthier than a cookie because there aren't tons of chocolate chips and I used whole wheat flour, so it has that "healthy" taste to it.
I think more than anything though, this recipe just makes me want to make all my cookies in thick-cookie-square form. You don't have to worry about them spreading out too much or winding up with flat pancake cookies (plus they can be super gooey, yum). I predict some square cookies in my future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment