August 19, 2012

Pin It Peach Blackberry Pie

Inspired by Bobby Flay

Week 34

Since a pie was originally requested for the backyard BBQ I figured I'd make one of those too.  It's blackberry season and they are all over Seattle.  We had no trouble picking enough for two pies just in our neighborhood. I picked up a few peaches at the local farmers market and had everything I needed for a delicious, summery pie.
I found this Bobby Flay recipe online and melded this together with my mom's berry pie recipe plus a little of my Aunt's Dutch apple pie recipe and came up with this gem.

Ingredients

Crust (make a day in advance)
¼ cup all purpose flour
½ tablespoon of unsalted butter
½ tablespoon of Crisco
½  teaspoon salt
3-4 tablespoon ice water


Crumple Top
1 cup flour
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup brown sugar


Filling
4 large peaches, peeled, pitted and slices (~1.5 inch thick)
~ 6 cups black berries
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar  
¼ cup tapioca
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 ¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ginger
1 Tbsp butter

Directions
Prepare pie crust (directions can be found here).

In small bowl, cream ½ cup butter with ½ cup brown sugar and 1 cup flour.  Blend with a pastry cutter. 

Combine peaches, sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and tapioca in a bowl and mix until well combined. Add in the blackberries. Spoon filling into pie crust using a slotted spoon.  Dot with butter and sprinkle crumble on top of fruit.

Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for about 30 minutes, until crust is nicely browned and berries are cooked through.
Sugared and spiced fruit.

This was awesome! I was really proud of how well it turned out and how delicious it tasted.  I used this same recipe again (minus the peaches, pictured below) and was pleasantly surprised to find my first ever solid berry pie! No runny juices, just pie perfection. I think it's probably the 1/4 cup of tapioca, but if it does the trick then I'm on board. 
I didn't actually get any of this pie, but I heard it was good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment