August 10, 2012

Pin It Salted Espresso Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Taken from Brown Eyed Baker

Week 32
Now I probably should have made a recipe that called for peanut butter since I currently have an excessive amount in my kitchen, but I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter in my baked goods (these were a mini exception).  So I was back to the drawing board.  I attempted to make these peanut butter and jelly cookies but failed.  I didn't want to use cake mix like the recipe called for, because I did not want cakey cookies (which may or may not have been the outcome).  Instead I used my standard cookie dough, but I took a few lazy short cuts:
1. I didn't brown the butter, I just melted it.
2. I chilled the dough for 20 minutes (like the recipe said) but it really wasn't long enough.

My first batch was flat and sad.  It was getting late and I was tired so I tried to flash chill the dough in the freezer, and then baked the rest.  End result: no bueno.
Very sad looking PB & J cookie. 
My cookies tasted fine but they were very sad and flat. I also don't think the recipe called for enough PB cups and chocolate raspberry squares.  The goodies to dough ratio was definitely off.  I may try it again using the cake mix and more PB cups and chocolate raspberry squares to see if it yields a better result.  I'll let you know how that goes.

But now on to bigger and better cookies!

I really like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. You can see some of my previous obsession here. My love stems from two things: the removal of raisins (yuck) with the simultaneous substitution of chocolate chips (yum, obviously), PLUS it's oats and oats are healthy, ergo it's a healthy cookie! Well...I can pretend anyway. And in actuality I don't really care if they are "healthy" or "fat and sugar filled," because I have to run 15 miles tomorrow!  This will be my first super long run (AKA longer than I've ever run before) as part of the training for my first (and only) full marathon in October.  So moral of the story is, all rules are out the window, yipee!

These cookies have a lot of salty sweet flavors going on with the exciting addition of espresso.  Since I'm not a huge coffee drinker I was excited to find that the Via packets Starbucks sells are ~1 teaspoon each, which was prefect for this recipe that called for 2 teaspoons of instant espresso power.
I followed the Brown Eyed Baker recipe and instructions, making only one change in that I browned the butter first. I also didn't make my cookies as big, so my dough yielded about 3 dozen cookies.
I found that baking them for the recommend time (22-25 minutes) is way too long. I baked my first batch for 22 minutes, checking them after 10 and was not satisfied with the result.  They were pretty crispy/crunchy.

I baked my second batch for ~20 minutes, again unsatisfied with the batch once they were cooled.  I finally got it mostly right on my last batch, baking for ~18 minutes, but I still think they could have stood a little less time in the oven.  The Brown Eyed Baker recipe swears that this is a chewy oatmeal cookie but there is no way that 22-25 minutes in my oven would yield a chewy cookie.  Everyone's oven is different so I'd recommend checking these after 15 minutes, then bake until they are still just a touch raw in the middle.  That would yield the best (chewy) result in my opinion.  

So I didn't get this one quite right but still a way better result than my PB & J cookie attempt, so I will still dub it a successful afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment