September 20, 2012

Pin It Cinnamon Roll Biscuits

Inspired by Brown Eyed Baker and Whisked

Week 38
Kristen and Bonnie's birthdays were both this week which obviously meant they needed a rainbow-y celebratory treat! I'm not sure if anything can compare to last year's feat, but this was a delicious alternative.

I found this recipe for Cosmic Birthday Cinnamon Rolls and had planned to make that for Bonnie and Kristen, but I was intimidated by the process, especially the yeast. Knowing that I was not going to have a ton of time to put these together I looked for something a little less involved. I found Joy's biscuit cinnamon roll recipe that sounded good, but to be honest, Brown Eyed Baker's recipe looked better, so I went with that.

I still wanted to capture the festivities from the Whisked recipe, so I included a 1/4 cup white chocolate chips and 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles into the dough recipe. Now, what I should have done was added the sprinkles and white chocolate chips to the dry ingredients before adding the heavy cream...but I forgot.  Instead, I folded the sprinkles and white chocolate chips into the dough, which proved to be a bit of a challenge.  Since I was using the round sprinkles (because they are more colorful) and they have a tendency to roll everywhere, I was cleaning up rogue sprinkles all over my house. On the counter, on the floor, under the fridge, everywhere. My only concern with adding the sprinkles to the dough before the cream is that some of the sprinkle color may be washed off, but I would still recommend that route, since managing those tiny rolly balls was almost impossible.

After incorporating all the "fun" into the dough, I attempted to roll it out into a 9 x 12 inch rectangle. The thing I love most about this recipe is that it used cream instead of butter.  I'm sure it's a toss up calorie/health wise, but stirring in cream is so much easier than incorporating small cubes of butter.
After I rolled the dough out, I brushed it with melted butter and sprinkled on the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. 
Then I rolled it onto a festive rainbow tube.
I cut it with a sharp knife into 8 "equal" pieces and arranged them in a pie plate.
The recipe did not say to butter the pan but I would next time, just to make them a little easier to get out.
I baked them at 425 for ~23 minutes.
The smelled delicious.
I skipped the glaze (due to a lack of time) and used canned cream cheese frosting instead. I then topped them with more sprinkles and was out the door! I frosted them a little too early (they were still pretty warm) so they were not the prettiest birthday biscuits, but they made up for it by being delicious!
Finished product (photo courtesy of Kristen)
Happy birthday ladies! (photo courtesy of Kristen)

1 comment: