September 23, 2012

Pin It Roasted Red Bell Pepper Pesto

Taken From A Cozy Kitchen

Week 39

I wanted to carbo load for my 20 mile run this weekend and also wanted to try my hand at making a pesto.  I ended up making this roasted red pepper pesto, and it turned out pretty good. It was also super easy, which is always a plus.  The only thing that took some time was roasting the peppers, but I bet you could substitute in the jarred kind if you are short on time. I thought the pesto was a little bland but adding more salt helped with that. I also left out the crushed red pepper so I'm sure that kicks things up a notch.

Here is what the recipe calls for:

Ingredients 

2 large red bell peppers (or 1 pound of red bell peppers)
Olive Oil
2 whole garlic cloves
2 tablespoon walnuts
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup Parmesan-Reggiano, grated
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper 
Sea salt

Directions (modified from A Cozy Kitchen)
1. Preheat your oven to 400F. Place the red peppers on a baking sheet and sprinkle both of them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Transfer the peppers to a hot oven and roast for ~40 min, turning them over at the halfway point. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. When the peppers are cool, peel off outer skin and set aside.

2. In a food processor, add the garlic cloves and walnuts; pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Next, throw in the roasted red peppers, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, fresh basil, Parmesan-Reggiano, crushed red pepper and pulse until mixture is smooth-ish, about 1 minute. Salt to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon.


As I still don't have a food processor (not for long though according to the birthday fairy) I used the Magic Bullet to make the pesto.  It turned out smoother than it would have in a food processor, but it all tasted the same. This was a very easy alternative to a marinara sauce and pretty healthy too. A good way to dress up my heaping bowl of pasta and get me energized for my uber run.

No comments:

Post a Comment