September 6, 2012

Pin It Tomato Cobler with Blue Cheese Biscuits

Taken From Joy the Baker

Week 36
Week 36? Are you kidding?!  Where has this year gone? I can't believe it's already September. Ugh.

Anyway, we came home Monday night with some amazing looking tomatoes handpicked from Tom's parent's garden. They were so cute and colorful...and I knew exactly what to do with them.
Pretty garden tomatoes, picture does not do them justice.
I'd seen this recipe on Joy's site a month plus back and Kristen and I both drooled over it. Once I had these amazing tomatoes in hand, I felt obligated to dedicate a dish to them.

Just a brief side note:
My pictures definitely do not do this dish justice.  It was really good and looked better than it does in the photos.  This is partially due to the fact that I take these pictures with my phone and also due to the fact that I'm not a very artsy person...plus I don't have pretty dishes.  Everything in my cupboards is a hodge podge mess that mostly originated from Target. I saw this on Shutterbean's site last week. It seems really cool; basically a tutorial on how to style and photograph your food and it's taught by Joy (of Joy the Baker) and Tracy of (Shutterbean)! They are food blogger celebrities! Tracy lives in SF but Joy is in LA so it's a special treat to have them in Berkeley together. I'm toying with the idea of signing up but it's a pretty good chuck of change.

Ok, back to the recipe. I followed all of Joy's directions except I left out the red pepper flakes and I cut the biscuit dough recipe in half.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with leftover dough and halving the recipe made exactly 6 biscuits. I had to get a little creative to use every last scrap of dough, so some of my biscuits are not the prettiest.
Caramelizing onions.
I'm not sure how many pounds of tomatoes I used but I had 4½ cups.
Tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, balsamic, flour, salt and pepper.
Blue cheese buttermilk biscuit dough.
Joy says to use a 1½-2 inch round biscuit cutter, but that seems really small.  I use my 2½ and made them a little thinner (probably ½ inch thick).
Partially baked (25 min) filling topped with blue cheese biscuits.
After adding the biscuits, I baked it for another 20 minutes, which seemed pretty good (probably because my biscuits weren't as thick).  I remember in the past when I made the caramelized mushrooms and dumplings, it took much longer to bake the biscuits through than what the recipe indicated. 
Like I said, my pictures don't really do this justice, but it was delicious and just as good reheated for lunch the next day.  I highly recommend this one if you've got enough time to make the biscuits. This probably took me 2 hours to make (from returning from the store to shoving this in my mouth) but that also included no kitchen helpers and cleaning up throughout.  I only had myself to feed but for some reason I felt motivated to actually cook (I usually just eat cereal when Tom is out of town).  I also knew I could get Kristen to come up for a taste J

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm this was so good! Seriously though I pretty much want to add biscuits to everything I make from now on...its a good plan right?

    ReplyDelete