October 10, 2012

Pin It Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters

Taken From Avery Cooks 

Week 41
Tada!  I now have my very own Cuisinart food processor and I love it!  I got the 11 cup version and I'm super stoked! Isn't it pretty?!  There are so many things I can now make and I got started right away.
I had a sneaking suspicion my parents were getting me this for my birthday (because I've been talking about it for months and my Mom and I discussed the specifics) but it was still a great surprise when I opened it on Tuesday.

Knowing this gadget was in my future, I had already picked out a recipe I wanted to try when I was grocery shopping for the week. The baked sweet potato and zucchini fritters sounded interesting and healthy, and like the perfect test for my new kitchen toy.

Didn't it do such a good job?! This was so much easier than the time I made latkes in college by grating the potatoes and onion by hand with a triangle grater. Lost a little bit of thumb skin to that task.
I just can't get over it how easy it makes kitchen tasks. Next to my KitchenAid stand mixer, this will definitely be the most utilized appliance in my kitchen.

Now back to my maiden voyage recipe with my food processor.  Below are the ingredients I used (slightly adapted from the original as far as the spices go):

Ingredients 
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted 
1 large egg  
1 teaspoon Mexican chili pepper seasoning  
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
~ 3 cups coarsely grated sweet potato (1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and grated)
~ 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (1 large or 2 small zucchini)

The detailed directions are fairly simple, but here is the gist:
Mix the melted butter with the egg and beat a little. Add in all your spices then mix in the flour.
 Add in your grated sweet potato and zucchini and mix until well coated.
Using a measuring cup, scoop 1/2 cup of mixture onto a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.  I gave each fritter a little squeeze after placing it on the sheet to keep it together a little better. My mix made 6 normal sized fritters, and one mini.
I baked them for 10 minutes at 375, then pushed the liquid that oozed out back into the fritter (using a spatula) and turned the oven down to 350.  I baked them at 350 for 15 minutes then flipped them over and baked for another 15 minutes.

They turned out great and were really good!  The recipe suggests serving them with spicy honey mustard (or a myriad of other things).  I ate them with sweet chili sauce and Tom mixed sriracha with Dijon to make his own spicy mustard.
Finished product.
Crispy fritter close-up.
As we sat down to eat, I thought, "What a healthy meal!" Then I remembered the half stick of melted butter, oops ;)  Regardless, the recipe ended up being delicious and something a little different.  Plus it just confirmed what I already knew would be true, that I love my new food processor!

Expect many more recipes utilizing this amazing appliance (that I don't know how I lived without for so long) in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment