October 31, 2012

Pin It Creamy Carrot Soup

Taken From Shutterbean

Week 44


It soup time again!  I really liked the carrot miso soup I'd made in the past, but wanted to try something new. As with most soups I like to make, this was super easy to whip up, as long as you don't mind peeling and chopping a dozen carrots and you have an immersion blender. The immersion blender is so key in making creamy soups.  I don't recommend any other way, and since you can get a solid immersion blender for ~$30, there is really no reason not to have one.

I didn't take any pictures of the process (I was hungry) but it's all pretty standard:

  • Saute a chopped onion, then add 2 cloves of chopped garlic.
  • Add in a lot (6 cups) of vegetable stock, carrots (12 chopped) and spices (dill, marjoram, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper).
  • Bring to a boil then simmer for 35 minutes. 
  • This next part was a little different: Mix 3 tablespoons of corn starch with ~ 3 tablespoons of water until dissolved and add to soup. 
  • Add 1/2 cup of cream (I used half and half) and simmer for another 15 minuets. 
  • Blend it all until smooth using an immersion blender and tada, you have a ton of soup!

I thought it was a little bland at first, I think because I always have a hard time with salt in a recipe when it doesn't specify an amount.  I tend to heir on the side of caution as I don't want it to be too salty.  However, I've found this can easily go the other way and end up bland.  Amazing what a little salt can do.  I added a bit to my bowl of soup and it brought out all the flavors. Pretty neat little spice that salt.

This was yummy and easy and the prefect meal on a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment