October 17, 2012

Pin It Tomato, Basil and Cheddar Soup

Taken From More Fruit Please

Week 42
Well week 42 started off with a bang!  On Sunday I ran my first full marathon, at the Nike Women's Marathon in SF. It was awesome!  I never felt like I wanted to die during the race and I felt great afterwards. It was amazing and now I never have to run that far again :)
  
Instead of a medal, finishers got a specially designed Tiffany's necklace to commemorate the race, which is obviously one of the best parts.
I had a big cheering section at the finish line so a huge thank you to my friends and family who made it out to Ocean Beach in the misty, cold weather. Great running weather but not the most enjoyable for spectators.
After carbo loading for a few days before the race then having tons of noodle left over to eat after the race, I was looking for something for dinner that was vegetable based.  I found this tomato soup recipe and was super surprised to find it didn't call for cream or milk.  Instead it used plain Greek yogurt (I used fat free Fage). Another surprising fact was that this recipe didn't need to cook for more than 20 minutes, which is awesome news when you leave work for the day and you are already hungry. 

Here are the ingredients and directions from the More Fruit Please blog:

Ingredients
28-oz. cans of diced tomatoes
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup basil, chopped, loosely packed
2 tsp of oregano
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Over medium heat, add the olive oil to a large pot. Add the chopped onion and allow to cook until tender, about three to four minutes. Add in chopped garlic and cook for an additional two minutes. Pour in the two cans of tomatoes (juice and all) and the vegetable stock. Stir in the basil, oregano, sugar, and salt and pepper. Place the lid back onto the pot and allow to simmer ten minutes. At the end, stir in the Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese until well blended. Use either an immersion blender or food processor to puree the soup if you prefer a smooth texture. Garnish with chopped basil and grated cheddar cheese if desired.
Adding in tomatoes, broth and herbs.
Stirring in yogurt and cheese.
Pre-immersion blender
After blending.
The immersion blender is very handy for this recipe and soups in general.  It's so much easier than batch blending with a blender or food processor. This soup turned out pretty well and was an easy healthier version of a classic cream based soup. I would definitely make it again based on how quickly it came together and it was a great pair to my avocado grilled cheese.

Although it's 84 degrees here today, I know fall is on its way, and soups are always great cool weather meals. Last winter I was definitely on a soup and cookie kick, so I'll try and ease back into in this year. Maybe mix some solid food in there for good measure. We'll see how well I do.

1 comment:

  1. Looks super yummy! Will have to try it with my new meat weight that makes grilled cheese sandwiches taste like a professional ones!

    ReplyDelete