November 13, 2012

Pin It Butternut Squash Skillet Lasagna

Taken From How Sweet It Is

Week 46
Ok, so in the end it was worth it but what a pain! I thought skillet lasagna would be easy, assuming I would make everything in one pan and would only have one dish to clean, right? Nope. Yes, everything was cooked in the skillet, but a lot of things cooked separately. For example, I cooked the squash, then set it aside in a bowl. I cooked the onions and meat, then set that aside in another bowl.  AND, in the end my 12 inch skillet wasn't big enough to fit everything so I ended up having to transfer it into a casserole dish to bake it.  I should have just made her regular butternut squash and sweet potato lasagna, but that is what I get for not reading through the whole recipe before committing to it.

I didn't even get a good picture of it in the end. Whatever.

I cut up the butternut squash, and cooked it with some seasoning until soft, then transferred it to a bowl and mashed it up.  I then cooked the onions and ground turkey until the turkey was cooked through. 
Then I made the cheese sauce (where I made my error).  I didn't let the flour, butter, milk mixture thicken enough before adding in the mascarpone and parmesan, so my sauce was a little runny in the end. It thickened up when I added the squash so it was fine, but probably not exactly how it was supposed to be and definitely not picture worthy.
Because there was not enough room in my skillet I ended up layering the noodles, meat and cheesy squash sauce into my casserole dish. I topped it with mozzarella and sage and baked it for ~25 minutes.
It was good, but I will never make this again.  It probably would have felt less cumbersome if I hadn't starting making this at 7pm, so I should take that into account.  However, given that my cast iron skillet isn't big enough to bake everything in it anyway, I'll probably just try out her butternut squash and sweet potato lasagna next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment