November 5, 2012

Pin It Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Taken From the Food Network

Week 45
We were having people over for a small dinner party on Sunday to share the loot from a hobby Tom recently embarked upon: duck hunting.  He got his hunting license and was out shootin' things the next day.  He loved it (and apparently was pretty good) and brought home 7 ducks (with their heads still on, eek).  I told him I didn't want to see them until they looked like something I'd buy at the supermarket, not that I've ever bought duck before. He was super excited, so I didn't want to rain on his parade and harp on that fact that he killed cute fuzzy ducks for sport.  But I guess he did carry it through to completion in that he cooked them up and fed a table of hungry and adventurous friends.

I wanted to make something to accompany the wild bird so I decided on twice baked sweet potatoes (because how good does that sound?!). I'd never made them nor did I have a recipe but it turned out that I did have all the ingredients I'd need.  I just did a quick Google search on my phone and found this recipe on the Food Network.  I recipe comparison shopped a little but this was the first one I found and it seemed like the best.

To save some time I cooked my sweet potatoes in the microwave. I scrubbed them, poked several holes in each and cooked them for ~10 minutes. I was making 4 sweet potatoes and found directions online that said microwave for 4-5 minutes and add another 2-3 minutes for each additional potato, flipping them halfway through. You just want to make sure they are soft but not petrified (I've done that too).

After they were a bit cooler, I cut them in half and scooped out the insides.

I mixed the guts with room temperature butter and cream cheese, brown sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, and a little salt and pepper.
I spooned the filling back into the skins and baked them at 375 for 15 minutes.
This really was so simple and delicious!  They were sweet, but not too sweet, but could totally take the place of dessert (not that they did because: 1. Duh and 2. I still had some of these left).
The meal was amazing and ended up being quite a feast. I had also made some asparagus and Tom cooked up some broccoli, baked beans and of course, the pièce de résistance, the BBQ duck! The duck very good and had a great flavor. I'd never eaten a wild duck before (and definitely never a whole bird) and the experience was complete with biting down on a steel pellet, so I knew it was legit.  It was a true feast (I kind of felt like we were knights of the round table) and everyone left very full and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment