December 17, 2012

Pin It Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Lasagna

Taken From How Sweet It Is

Week 51
I don't know what it is about lasagna that makes it so good.  Oh wait, yes I do. The cheese!  Not only is lasagna filled with a plethora of cheese, but it's a variety of cheeses. And we all know the time tested equation: 
Mega amounts of cheese + Variety of cheeses = Amazing 
(and maybe high cholesterol, but they've got meds for that)
This recipe uses mascarpone, mozzarella and Parmesan. Mmmmm.

So you may remember my saga with the butternut squash skillet lasagna. In the end it was really good but a huge pain to make, especially when working with a too-small skillet.

This recipe was much easier and also really good. The only unnecessary bit I found was the 3 tablespoons of butter used to sauté the shallots and garlic. After the butter was browned the butter/shallot/garlic mixture was combined with the mascarpone and parm. Now, I'm all for an excessive use of butter, but this was a little over the top.  After the lasagna was baked and the first piece was cut, you could see all the excess butter oozing from the lasagna into the empty space.  I drained out what I could because it was a little much.  If I made this again (which I definitely will) I'll only used 1.5 Tbs or just enough to sauté the shallots and garlic.  I'm pretty sure this recipe is loaded with enough fat that it won't miss the extra butter.

I also read some people's comments who said their noodles were crispy. I didn't have this problem as I didn't use no-bake noodles, so my lasagna noodles were soft and delicious. I did find it odd though that there was nothing underneath the first layer of noodles. Normally with lasagna you put a sauce layer down first, which I think prevents crispy noodles.  Just something to keep in mind in case you choose the no-bake noodle route.

Other than that this was delicious.  You know my love of sage so its incorporation was just the icing on the cake (or the crispy sage on the lasagna, as it were).
Noodles with smashed roasted sweet potato and butternut squash.
Crumbled cheese mixture.
Layers topped with more cheese...
..and fresh sage leaves.
Can you see it glistening? Yeah, that's the good stuff.
Super good recipe and keeps well for a few days, if it lasts that long.

2 comments: