December 21, 2012

Pin It English Toffee Bites

Taken From Sugary Sweets

Week 51
Now that I have a candy thermometer the possibilities are endless!  These seemed like a fairly simple place to start, plus it involved purchasing a new baking pan I really liked how they turned out on Sugary Sweets, so I decided I needed a silicone brownie bite pan too.  I found it on Amazon for cheap so it seemed like a good idea. It's genius! 1. They end up more uniform and all professional looking and 2. They pop out so easily. No struggling with sticky candy or messing with hard toffee and sharp knives.

I've only ever made caramel before so toffee was a new endeavor. The ingredients seemed simple enough so I figured I could manage.

I used slightly adapted ingredients for this recipe:
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
12 oz. milk chocolate, melted (via microwave or double boiler)
~1/3 cup sliced almonds
~1/3 cup chopped walnuts

I started out by sprinkling a few almond slivers into the wells of my pan. I wanted a variety of toffee so I only put almonds in half the wells.

I heated the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt over medium/high heat, stirring constantly. Once it got to 300 degrees (about the same time it turned a "toffee color"...about 7 minutes of frothy boiling), I took it off the heat and started spooning it into the wells. I was worried about it burning, so I kept stirring it in between spoonfuls.  As I continued to stir it I noticed the toffee started getting more viscous.  I think it was actually cooling faster with the stirring than if I had just left it alone. Oops. 
I quickly filled all the wells, leaving room on top for chocolate.
Once I was done filling the wells, I threw it in the oven for a few minutes to reheat it and make sure all the toffee looked consistent (since some of it had gotten a little thicker and wasn't melted together as nicely as the first few wells). This actually seemed to do the trick, so that was exciting.
I let them cool for a couple hours before distributing the melted chocolate on their tops. I had a little extra toffee but the amount of chocolate was perfect.
I sprinkled half the wells with chopped walnuts so I had 4 types of toffee:
Almonds and Walnuts
Almonds
Walnuts
No Nuts
I can't tell you which have almonds in them anymore but I'm hoping looking at the bottom of the toffee pieces will give some clues away.
I chilled them overnight in the fridge and then popped them out of their wells.
Some of the chocolate tops popped off their toffee bottoms when I was taking them out of the pan. User error? Maybe, but I was trying to gently coerce them out of their little pockets.  I got worried at first but lined the tops back onto the bottoms and noticed that as they started to warm a bit, the chocolate adhered back onto the toffee. That was a close one.

I was pretty pleased about how these turned out.  They look really cute and presentable. I haven't tried one yet (am bringing them over to Tom's parents' house for the holidays) but I sampled the parts separately and I'm confident they'll be delicious.

5 comments:

  1. They look beautiful and delicious! Very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you melt the chocolate and then just pour it on top? Also can you add chocolate on top of toffee to cool together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did melt the chocolate first then soon it into each compartment. I don't think adding unmelted chocolate on top of the toffee would melt the chocolate. I think if you added melted chocolate on top of hot toffee you might not get the clean line between the two. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Ok thanks, just one more question how long did you pop them back in the oven to remedy the toffee?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't recall exactly (it was 2 years ago) but I'd say start with 5 minutes, then check it every 2 minutes to make sure it looks consistent and is not getting over done.

    ReplyDelete