December 3, 2012

Pin It Pumpkin Soup

Taken From Marshalls Abroad

Week 49

Blech. Well, the good part was this was really easy and cheap (~$4) to make.  The bad part was that it tasted terrible.  Not really an even trade.

The only reason why I'm even posting it is because I feel like this recipe could be easily remedied by either eliminating or greatly reducing one ingredient: cloves. The recipe called for 1 teaspoon of cloves, the same amount as all the other spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger). The clove flavor was so strong that it totally overpowered the soup and made it super bitter. Gross.

The suggested garnish of blue cheese didn't help either.  One strong flavor did not cover up the other, it just made it a battle royal between two non-complimentary flavors. I tried using feta and adding balsamic vinegar to cover it up, and I added more chicken stock to try and dilute it, but it was too late. The soup was ruined.

So if you do try this, I think it has the potential to be really good if you leave out the cloves all together, or if you must, just add 1/8 teaspoon.
Because it was so easy and cheap I didn't feel too bad about the fact that I wanted to dump it all down the sink.  Luckily Tom didn't hate it, so it didn't end up going to waste. Way to be Tom.
Lunch update: Tom brought the soup for lunch today and just told me, "The cloves are too much."  Yeah, I know, it's terrible.  The rest is going down the drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment