January 9, 2013

Pin It New Plans for 2013 - Cook the Books Challenge

It's a new year and I've got a new plan. Thanks to Bonnie's suggestion, based on a post she saw on Grow and Resist,  I'm going to do my own cook book challenge in 2013!

With a few exceptions (PB birthday cake and honey goat cheese biscuits) the majority of the recipes that I posted on last year were taken from blogs, website and other online sources. It is very easy to get overwhelmed by the number of recipes you can find online (my Pinterest boards can attest to that) and sometimes it's nice to get back to the basics. In this case the basics are ink and paper, bound together and organized in a logical manner. I'm speaking of course of the good ol' fashion cook book!  I've got some, you've got some, your friends have some, but how often do we pull them off the shelf and actually use them? I'm definitely guilty of being super stoked about a new cookbook, even getting it signed by the author, and then placing it on the shelf to be ignored for months, or worse, never used at all (unless of course initially flipping through every page and drooling over all the amazing recipes counts as "using").  Well no more! I'm making a resolution to use these vested sources of delicious food. They are after all published for a reason. Someone besides the author thinks they are good, which means they are probably worth trying. So that is my plan, to actually use the cookbooks I have and perhaps borrow cook books from friends and family to broaden my challenge (my current cookbook collection may or may not be baking/sweets heavy).

So here is my plan.  I will choose one of my cookbooks (and/or borrow cookbooks from friends) each month and make at least one recipe from each book during the month.  I'll announce which cookbook I'll be choosing at the beginning of the month to leave room for audience participation! During the month you can cook along with me.  Variety is the spice of life so there is no need to make what I've made (unless I've made it so irresistible that you can't help yourself) so feel free to choose any recipe from the book of the month you like.  Then you can share your pictures, stories, antidotes, alterations and improvements on the recipes you've tried with me, and I can post them on the blog. Doesn't that sound fun!? If you don't have my contact info just leave me a comment and I'll be in touch. I'll likely post at least one recipe from each book by the middle of the month, so if you want to play along but don't have the book (and none of your friends have a copy) then you can always try out the recipe I post. I generally post pretty close to real time, so as long as you get your pictures/stories to me before the 28th of each month, I can include them in a participant round-up post at the end of each month.

Now because I can't resist, I'm still going to try new recipes I find online and will post the ones worth sharing throughout the year.

Alright, so we've got a plan, now for the specifics.  For January I will be choosing recipes from Deb Perelman's, The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. Don't have your own copy? Amazon can get you one in 2 days if you are interested.
Signed by Deb, nbd.
I'm going to try and not start with this page:
It will be hard to resist, especially with these peanut butter chocolate sandwich cookies staring back at me,
but with so many other baking cookbooks on my shelf, I should use this opportunity to make something more like this!
And to give you a head start for February, I'm going to be baking from the Joy the Baker Cookbook, 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes, also available on Amazon.

Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment