January 18, 2013

Pin It Shaved Asparagus Pizza - Cook the Books

Take From The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

Another new recipe from the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook as part of my Cook the Books challenge and another use of my new pizza stone, which I love!  It didn't do great things for the Challah, but made an amazing crispy crust on this pizza. I almost feel bad that I've been eating/serving sub-par homemade pizzas in the past, knowing now that their crusts could have been crispy yet chewy at the same time....oh well.

Deb has a link to her really simple pizza dough recipe, but I took it a step further in the easy direction and bought the pre-made Garlic & Herb dough from Trader Joe's. It's really good and worked really well with this pizza recipe. 

I wasn't sure about how this would go over with Tom, being meatless and so veggie heavy, but he/we really liked it.  It's a sauce-less pizza with very simple ingredients but has a lot of flavor and an interesting texture.  I rolled out the dough and layered on the mozzarella and a Parmesan/Romano mix. I then topped it with heaps of asparagus.  The only thing that was a major pain in this recipe was shaving the asparagus.  I think my main problem was that I had little skinny asparagus, which I imagine are much more tedious to shave than the big girthy ones. I don't have a mandolin (which sounds dangerous for this task) so I just used a vegetable peeler. It took forever but worked and was worth it in the end.  I tossed the shaved asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic salt. 

I baked it on my preheated corn meal sprinkled pizza stone at 450 for ~10 minutes.  I then topped it with sliced scallions and cut it with my new machete-like pizza cutter.
This pizza was delicious and so far I'm loving my Cook the Books challenge! When I find thicker asparagus spears I will definitely be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment